Make healthy mashed potatoes by substituting cream for low-fat milk and butter with chicken stock!
- 3 large russet potatoes
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Peel and cut the potatoes in large chunks.
- Boil the potatoes uncovered in salted water. (This is important!)
- Turn down the heat to medium, cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender (about 25 minutes).
- Drain and place the potatoes back in the pot. Place the pot back on the stove and heat on high for 1 minute to eliminate any excess water.
- Take off the heat and mash using a potato masher.
- Add the chicken broth, skim milk, butter and olive oil. Mix well until light and fluffy.
- Add a generous amount of salt and pepper. Whisk until combined.