Budget-friendly chicken thighs make for a delicious dinner packed with flavour in this Middle Eastern inspired dish: chicken thighs with green beans and potatoes in tomato sauce.
- 6 chicken thighs, bone-in
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large russet potato
- 2 cups green beans
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Arrange chicken thighs on a square casserole dish (about 9 x 9). Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour.
- About 30 minutes into baking, start preparing your sauce. Heat oil over medium-high.
- Add onions, garlic, and turmeric. Stir well to coat onions yellow. Saute until onions are translucent (about 4-5 minutes).
- Add tomato paste, water, salt and pepper. Stir until combined.
- Add potatoes and bring sauce to a simmer.
- Turn heat down to low and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Add green beans and continue to simmer for 10 more minutes or until sauce is slightly creamy (not watery and not dry), If sauce is too dry, add some water. If it is too watery, turn up the heat and allow some of the water to evaporate.
- At this time, your chicken should have been baking for 1 hour. Remove from oven and pour your sauce over top. Cover dish with aluminum foil. Use oven mitts because the casserole dish will be very hot.
- Place back in the oven and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern