Zucchini fritters are crispy outside, tender inside, and loaded with zucchini. These healthy bites are one of my favorite ways to use up summer zucchini.
- 3 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon chives or green onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (for cooking)
- Use a box grater or food processor to shred the zucchini.
- Place the shredded zucchini in a colander over a large bowl or the kitchen sink. Sprinkle the shredded zucchini evenly with a little bit of salt. Toss well to combine and let it sit for 10 minutes (Salt will draw out excess moisture inside the zucchini). Then, use your hands to squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the zucchini. Set aside in a large mixing bowl.
- Add flour, egg, chives, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Mix well until evenly combined.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until sizzling hot, about 2 minutes. Place a tablespoon of the zucchini mixture in the skillet and gently flatten with the back of a spoon or spatula. You can probably fit 4-5 fritters in one skillet, depending on the size of your skillet. Cook until golden brown on the bottom, about 2 minutes, and flip over. Cook the other side until golden brown, another 2 minutes. Repeat in batches until the zucchini mixture is used up.
- Serve warm with Tzatziki Sauce, mayonnaise, or sour cream, if desired.
Pan-frying tips: When frying foods, it’s essential to make sure your pan is at the right temperature. Too hot, and the fritters will burn before the inside is cooked. Too cold, and the fritters will absorb the oil and become a greasy mess. Adjust the temperature if needed while you cook, keeping in mind that adding fritters will cool the pan slightly, and an empty pan will heat quickly.
How to store: Store zucchini fritters in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days. Lining the container with a paper towel can help to absorb any excess moisture and prevent the fritters from becoming soggy.
How to freeze: Allow the fritters to cool to room temperature, then store in an airtight container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, allow it to thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then reheat.
How to reheat: I recommend reheating these zucchini fritters in an air fryer if you have one. Heat at 375F for 4-5 minutes. You can also reheat zucchini fritters in a 375F oven for 10-15 minutes until warm, or on in a pan over the stove on medium heat until warm.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: zucchini fritters, zucchini bites, pan-fried zucchini fritters, fritters with zucchini, vegetarian fritters