If you like traditional carbonara, you are going to love creamy butternut squash carbonara pasta with Parmesan, bacon and sage. The winter squash pasta is the best fall comfort food.
- 1/2 large butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/2 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons sage, chopped (plus more for garnish)
- 1 lb. linguine pasta
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (plus more for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Place chopped butternut squash on a rimmed baking sheet. Add olive oil, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and cinnamon. Toss to combine. Roast until tender, approximately 20-25 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly.
- While the squash is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Remove all but 1 tablespoon of bacon fat in the skillet. Add onion and cook for about 6-8 minutes until translucent. And chopped sage and cook for one more minute. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, or in accordance with package instructions. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking water.
- Add the slightly cooled squash to a food processor and puree until smooth. Slowly drizzle in 1/4 cup of reserved pasta water and pulse.
- Add squash purée, egg yolks, and Parmesan cheese into the skillet with onion and sage. Use a whisk to combine while everything is still warm — it will slightly cook the eggs. Add pasta and bacon and toss to combine. (If pasta sauce is too thick, slowly drizzle in more of the reserved cooking liquid).
- Plate pasta on individual plates or in bowls and top with additional Parmesan cheese, chopped sage, and LOTS of freshly grated black pepper (it makes the dish!). Serve immediately.
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: butternut squash carbonara pasta, butternut squash pasta, winter squash carbonara pasta,