White chicken chili is an easy and delicious one pot meal made with shredded chicken, hearty veggies, and a creamy broth that's loaded with flavor.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1-2 medium green chiles (such as poblano and jalapeno peppers), sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or Italian seasoning
- 1 lb. boneless and skinless chicken breasts (about 3 medium pieces)
- 3 + 1/2 cups chicken broth (or two-14.5 oz. cans)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 (15 oz.) cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 + 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (or sour cream)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, wedged
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup tortilla chips
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat until the hot oil sizzles, about 1 minute. Add onion, garlic, and green chiles. Sauté until fragrant and tender, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in cumin and oregano until well combined.
- Add chicken breasts and broth and season with salt and pepper. Turn the heat down to medium, cover the lid and bring it to a simmer. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and shred into small pieces using 2 forks. Once shredded, transfer back into the pot and mix evenly.
- Add white beans and continue cooking until warmed through, about 5-7 minutes. Mash about 1/3 of the beans with a potato masher to help thicken the chili (optional). For a smoother creamier chili, mash more beans. For a chunkier chili, leave more beans whole.
- Stir in corn and heavy cream (or sour cream) until evenly mixed. Cook for 2-3 minutes until smooth, stirring occasionally.
- Drizzle with lime juice if desired and top with cilantro, cheddar, and tortilla chips.
How to use leftover chicken. To use leftover shredded chicken such as a rotisserie chicken or roast chicken, instead of adding raw chicken, add 1 cup shredded chicken and broth along with the beans (skipping the step where you simmer). Season with salt and pepper to taste, and continue with the recipe as written.
Changing the consistency: To personalize this recipe, you can adjust the amount of beans you puree. For a smoother creamier chili, puree more beans. For a chunkier chili, leave more beans whole.
How to store: Keep leftover white chicken chili in the refrigerator for up to 3 days (if using fresh leftover chicken). Otherwise, consume before your leftover chicken expires (usually four days after cooking).
How to freeze: Freeze frozen white chicken chili in an airtight container, freezer bag, or proportioned meal prep containers for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator the day before you intend to eat it.
Reheating instructions: Heat on the stovetop over medium-low heat until warmed through, about 5-10 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: white chicken chili, chicken chili, homemade chicken chili, how to make white chicken chili, chili with chicken