This White Bean Soup with Kale is a healthy one-pot dish that is super flavorful and easy to make! Enjoy tender, protein-packed white beans and vitamin-rich kale in a creamy, perfectly spiced broth in just 30 minutes using simple, good-for-you ingredients. It's hearty and nourishing.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 (15-ounce) can white cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 cups fresh kale, chopped
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- lemon juice (optional, for serving)
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high until sizzling hot, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add onion, garlic, carrots and celery. Stir well and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in Italian seasoning and chili powder until well combined.
- Add white beans and chicken broth. Bring it to a boil and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off the heat. Use a handheld immersion blender to mash half the bean mixture. This makes the soup thicker and creamier. You can also add half of the soup mixture into a blender and blend until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Stir in kale until wilted, about 1 minute.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm with a squeeze of lemon juice, if desired.
How to store: Transfer leftover cannellini bean soup to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
How to freeze: Once cooled to room temperature, transfer the leftover bean soup to a freezer-safe container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. I recommend portioning them out before freezing to easily reheat the exact amount you want. Allow the soup to thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
How to reheat: Reheat in a medium saucepan on the stovetop over medium-low heat until warmed through. Add a splash of water if the soup has thickened too much when stored. You can also reheat this soup in the microwave in a microwave-safe container. Cover with a microwave-safe lid leaving a slight gap (vent). Heat in 30-60 second increments until warmed through.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: white bean soup, white bean soup with kale, mediterranean white bean soup, white bean and kale soup, cannellini bean soup