This Vegetarian Split Pea Soup is an easy to make vegan soup that is packed with nutrients and flavor. Made with split peas, lots of veggies, and well-seasoned, this soup is hearty, filling, and nourishing.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups dried split peas, rinsed (about 1 pound)
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup croutons (optional, for serving)
- Heat oil in a large stockpot or 4-qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat until the hot oil sizzles, about 1 minute. Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Sauté until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Season with Italian seasoning and stir well to combine.
- Add split peas, bay leaves, vegetable broth and water. Bring the soup to a simmer over medium heat. Stir occasionally and let simmer until split peas are tender and the soup thickens to a desired consistency, about 45-55 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves. Chop meat from the bone and stir back into the soup.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm and top with croutons if desired.
How to store: Keep leftover split pea soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
How to reheat: Reheat split pea soup in a saucepan on the stovetop over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. You may want to add a splash of water if the soup has thickened too much in the fridge. If it becomes too watery, let it reduce on the stove longer until desired consistency is reached.
How to freeze: Vegetarian split pea soup freezes well. Store in a freezer bag or airtight container for up to 3 months. Allow the frozen soup to that overnight in the refrigerator before serving or thaw on the kitchen counter at room temperature for a few hours.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegetarian split pea soup, vegan split pea soup, vegan pea soup, split pea soup