Apricots are finally here and it’s time to rejoice with a sweet, juicy, upside-down caramel apricot tart laced with flakey sea salt — it’s heaven!
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter + 1/2 cup (1 stick, room temperature), divided
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 5 apricots, halved and pitted
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a small sauce pan, combine water, 1 cup sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil, then simmer without stirring, about 6-7 minutes until the mixture becomes a deep amber colour. Swirl the pan occasionally to cook evenly.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Add 2 tablespoons butter and cream and swirl until well dissolved. Pour caramel mixture into into a tart pan or 10” skillet.
- Place halved apricots rounded side down into the caramel.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Combine the remaining 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup (1 stick) of room temperature butter in bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add eggs, one at a time, mixing well until fully combined.
- With the mixer on low, alternate adding the flour mixture and the milk, ending with the flour mixture. Mix for an additional minute. Dollop cake mixture evenly on top of apricots and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake for 40 minutes, or until cake is golden brown and a cake tester or knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove cake and place on a cooling rack for 1 minute. Use a knife to loosen the edges of the cake, then carefully invert onto a cake stand or cooling rack. If you let the cake sit any longer, you’ll have a hard time getting it out of the pan.
- Re-arrange any fruit that got displaced during transfer, then allow the cake to cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream!
- Category: Dessert