Creamy leftover turkey tetrazzini with spinach is a simple, easy and delicious pasta recipe that is comforting, creamy and cheesy. It's a family favourite.
- 1 (500 gram) package dry spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 + 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly-squeezed
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach (about 2 ounces)
- 1 lb. shredded cooked turkey (about 3 cups)
- 1 + 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, finely chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium high heat. Add spaghetti and one tablespoon olive oil. Cook until al dente (fully cooked but still firm), about 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain the noodles in a colander and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process and cool down. Set aside in the pot.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan for 2 minutes over medium high heat, until the hot oil sizzles. Add mushrooms and sauté until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in onion and garlic, and sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add salt, pepper and flour. Stir well to combine, about 1 minute.
- Pour in chicken broth and lemon juice and whisk until the sauce is smooth and uniform. The sauce might be a little bit clumpy in the beginning.
- Whisk in heavy cream and bring the sauce to a simmer over medium heat. Let it simmer and stir occasionally until thickened, about 5-10 minutes. The sauce should be similar to in consistency to gravy and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and stir in spinach until wilted, about 1 minute.
- Add in cooked spaghetti and shredded turkey. Toss well until fully combined and coated.
- Transfer the mixture into a 9x13 casserole pan and evenly top with mozzarella cheese.
- Lightly grease a large piece of aluminum foil and cover the pan. Greasing the foil prevents the melted cheese from sticking to the foil while baking.
- Bake the tetrazzini covered for 25 minutes. Then, remove the foil and bake uncovered for another 15 minutes or until the melted cheese turns golden brown and bubbly. Optionally, turn on broiler on high and broil for 3-4 minutes to brown the cheesy crust and get it crispy.
- Let the tetrazzini rest for 10 minutes before serving. This is to ensure the cream sauce sets a bit and is not too runny.
Turkey: This is a great way to use leftover turkey from a whole roast turkey, slow cooker turkey breast or juicy roasted turkey breast. You can also easily substitute the cooked turkey with cooked chicken. Follow the recipe the exact same using leftover roast chicken or a store-bought rotisserie chicken.
How to store before baking: Store assembled uncooked turkey tetrazzini (up to the point of baking) in the refrigerator for up to 2 days, covered in aluminum foil.
How to store after baking: Store turkey tetrazzini in the pan, sealed with aluminum foil, or transfer to an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, cover with aluminum foil and place in the oven at 350 F for 10 minutes, or until heated through. You can also reheat in the air fryer uncovered at 350 F for 5-10 minutes, or in the microwave for a few minutes.
How to freeze before or after baking: Store turkey tetrazzini (either uncooked or cooked) in the freezer for up to 3 months, covered in foil. I would recommend using a disposable 9x13 aluminum pan for assembling the tetrazzini in if you are planning to freeze it.
How to reheat frozen tetrazzini: To reheat frozen uncooked lasagna, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Then, bake according to recipe instructions.
- To reheat frozen cooked tetrazzini, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator or kitchen counter. Then cover with aluminum foil and place in the oven at 350 F for 10 minutes, or until heated through. You can also reheat in the air fryer uncovered at 350 F for 5-10 minutes, or in the microwave for a few minutes.
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: turkey tetrazzini with spinach, leftover turkey tetrazzini, turkey and spinach tetrazzini, leftover turkey recipes, turkey pasta bake