Leftover turkey potato chowder is a creamy, savory, and delicious soup that is loaded with holiday leftovers. Quick and easy, ready in under 30 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 2-3 cups cooked turkey, shredded or cubed
- 1 cup half and half cream
- 1/2 cup corn, frozen
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- cheddar cheese, shredded (optional, for topping)
- parsley, chopped (optional, for topping)
- In a large stockpot or 5.5 quart Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat, until it starts to bubble, about 1 minute. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft and tender and starting to brown, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add flour and mix well until evenly combined with the onion mixture and continue to cook for another minute. Pour in stock and Italian seasoning and mix well. Bring the mixture to a simmer, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in mashed potatoes, and stir until all the potatoes have broken up. Let the soup simmer over medium heat for 8-10 minutes until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Add turkey and half and half cream. Cook until heated through, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in corn and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and top with shredded cheddar cheese and green onions, if desired.
How to store: Keep leftover turkey potato chowder in the fridge in an airtight container. How long this recipe lasts depends on how fresh your leftover mashed potatoes and cooked turkey are. Expect to eat it within 1-3 days.
How to reheat: Reheat on the stove over medium-low heat until warmed through. You may have to add a splash of water if thickened too much when stored.
How to freeze: You can safely freeze this leftover turkey potato soup for up to three months, but the texture of the soup will change. Because of the potatoes and the cream in the soup, freezing will make it lose some flavor and become slightly grainy. Allow it to defrost overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: turkey potato chowder, how to make turkey potato chowder, leftover turkey soup, leftover thanksgiving soup