Homemade tomato basil soup is comforting, rich, and smooth. This cozy soup is easy, flavourful, and nourishing, making it so much better than canned.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 4 medium fresh roma tomatoes, diced (about 3 cups)
- 1 (14 oz.) can tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- Parmesan cheese (optional, for serving)
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven for 2 minutes over medium-high heat until the hot oil is shimmering hot. Add onion and garlic. Sauté until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add fresh tomatoes, tomato sauce, and basil. Stir in the remaining seasoning (Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper). Reduce heat to medium and cook until tomatoes soften, about 6-8 minutes
- Pour in broth, cover the lid, and turn the heat down to low. Allow the soup to simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and puree the soup. For a smoother texture, transfer the soup into a blender and puree in batches, or puree using an immersion blender directly in the pot. For a chunkier soup, use a potato masher or fork and mash until desired consistency is achieved.
- Serve with some Parmesan cheese, feta cheese, or breadsticks (if desired).
immersion blender. You just stick it directly into the pot and blend. You can also scoop the soup into a stand-up blender with a ladle or measuring cup. Be careful when you blend as the heat will build up pressure in the blender. Depending on your blender, you may have to ensure it has some way to vent, but cover the hole with a paper or kitchen towel to prevent a splattering mess.The easiest way to blend hot soup is with an
How to store: Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
How to freeze tomato soup: I highly recommend batching and freezing this recipe. I also suggest portioning out the soup into individual portions before freezing. I love using souper cubes to freeze the soup into portions and then transferring the frozen cups into a freezer bag or airtight container.
How to reheat: Reheat on the stove over medium-low heat for 5-10 minutes until warmed through. You may have to add a splash of water to thin out the soup if it has thickened too much when storing. If reheating from frozen, allow the soup to thaw first.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: tomato basil soup, how to make tomato soup, homemade tomato soup with basil, tomato soup with basil, easy tomato soup