Mediterranean Buckwheat Salad is quick, easy, and delicious. Loaded with superfood buckwheat, this salad is healthy, naturally gluten-free, and vegetarian.
- 3/4 cup buckwheat, uncooked
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes (or cherry tomatoes), halved
- 1 1/2 cups mini cucumbers, sliced (about 3-4 mini cucumbers)
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, cubed
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh parsley or mint, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Rinse the buckwheat and place in a small saucepan. Add water and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Turn the heat down to low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes until cooked. Let it sit for 5 minutes and then fluff with a fork. If the water has not all been absorbed, drain the buckwheat in a colander. Set aside and let it cool completely.
- Transfer the cooled buckwheat to a large mixing bowl or serving bowl. Add all the remaining ingredients, and toss to combine. Taste and season with more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve with extra parsley or mint on top (optional).
Make ahead instructions: Make the buckwheat and prep the salad ahead of time (leaving out the lemon juice and olive oil). Store the buckwheat and veggies in separate airtight containers and toss together with lemon juice and olive oil just before you are ready to serve.
How to store: Keep leftover buckwheat salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. As time goes on the buckwheat will get soft and soggy, so it's best to eat it sooner rather than later.
How to freeze buckwheat: You can also make a big batch of buckwheat and freeze the extra to throw into salads whenever you want. Allow the buckwheat to cool to room temperature, then store in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. Allow it to thaw overnight in the refrigerator before using.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Tossed
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: buckwheat salad, mediterranean buckwheat salad, salad with buckwheat,