Making tapioca pearls (boba) at home is easier than you think with just 3 ingredients. Add tender and sweet brown sugar boba pearls to your bubble tea.
- 4 and 1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 cup uncooked tapioca pearls
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups of water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add tapioca pearls and turn the heat down to medium-low. Cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent them from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Turn off the heat and let the tapioca pearls sit in the hot water for another 20-25 minutes.
- Drain the pearls through a fine mesh sieve and return to the saucepan. Add in brown sugar and 1/4 cup water. Stir well and heat over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the syrup starts to thicken a bit, about 4-5 minutes. When the pearls are fully cooked through, they should be soft and chewy.
- Serve immediately in bubble tea.
Use tapioca pearls within a few hours. Tapioca pearls are best if used within a few hours of cooking (within 4 hours). They will get mushy. Make a smaller batch if you are worried about having extras.
How to store cooked tapioca pearls. If you do have extra, you can store them in an airtight container at room temperature. Cover and fully coat them in the honey syrup so that they don't stick to each other. But again, you need to consume them within 4 hours before they start to get mushy. Do not store in the refrigerator as they will harden.
Why are my pearls too soft? This will happen if they are overcooked, or if they have been sitting out for over 4 hours.
Why are my pearls too hard? This will happen if they are undercooked or if stored in the refrigerator.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Drink
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Taiwanese
Keywords: tapioca pearls, boba, how to make tapioca pearls, how to cook boba, bubble tea pearls, bubble tea boba