Tandoori chicken drumsticks are crispy outside, juicy and tender inside, and packed with flavor. An easy dinner to make in the oven, stovetop, or grill.
- 3 lb. chicken drumsticks (about 10 pieces)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger root powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon paprika (for colouring)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (from 1 freshly squeezed lemon)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped (for garnish)
- Use a paper towel to pat dry the chicken drumsticks completely before adding seasoning. Score each drumstick with a knife to make 2-3 shallow cuts, about 1/4-inch deep. This helps the chicken soak in all the flavors.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine salt, pepper, garlic powder, ginger root powder, turmeric, cumin, garam masala, and paprika. Mix well with a spoon until evenly distributed. Rub the seasoning all over the chicken to coat evenly including in between the cuts.
- Place chicken drumsticks into a zip-loc bag. Add in all the wet ingredients including oil, lemon juice, and yogurt and stir well to combine. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Press the marinade around the chicken drumsticks to coat. Place bag in the refrigerator and marinate for at least 1 hour, up to overnight.
- You can cook the chicken in the oven, on the stovetop, or on the grill.
- To cook in the oven: Preheat the oven to 400F. Arrange the marinated chicken drumsticks on a large half sheet baking pan and bake for 40-45 minutes until the skin is crispy and the internal temperature for the chicken reaches 165 F. Turn over once halfway through baking. Turn the broiler on high and and cook until nicely charred, about 5 more minutes.
- To pan fry: Heat 1 tablespoon cooking oil in a large cast-iron skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat for 2 minutes until the hot oil sizzles and shimmers. Sear the drumsticks in batches for 6-8 minutes on each side until cooked through and nicely charred. The internal temperature for the chicken should reach 165 F.
- To grill: Preheat the grill to high heat for at least 5 minutes. Place the chicken drumsticks on the grill and cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side until nicely charred and the internal temperature for the chicken reaches 165 F. Flip occasionally to avoid overcooking.
- Let the drumsticks rest for 5 minutes. Drizzle with extra lemon juice and garnish with cilantro.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Various
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: tandoori chicken drumsticks, how to make tandoori chicken, baked tandoori chicken, grilled tandoori chicken