Sweet and sour sauce adds instant flavor to any dish that you add it to. Made in 10 minutes with 5 ingredients, this homemade Chinese sauce is so easy.
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water (or chicken broth)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together all the sauce ingredients including ketchup, soy sauce, water (or chicken broth), sugar, vinegar, and cornstarch until smooth.
- Transfer the sauce mixture into a saucepan and bring it to a simmer over low heat. Stir constantly and simmer until thickened to a desired consistency, about 5-7 minutes.
- Use the sauce in your favorite Asian dishes such as Sweet and Sour Pork, or use as a dipping sauce. If not using right away, let the sauce cool completely and store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Making substitutions: If you’ve never made sweet and sour sauce before, stick to the recipe. But, if you know what you like, then feel free to make adjustments. If you like it sourer, add more vinegar. If you prefer it saltier, use more soy sauce. Is it too sweet? Add less sugar. You get the idea.
How to thicken: If the sauce is not thickened enough to your liking, just continue to simmer to activate the cornstarch. The longer you simmer the sauce, the more it will thicken as it reduces.
Use it as a marinade: To use this sauce as a marinade, just leave out the cornstarch and slather it on your meats before cooking.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: sweet and sour sauce, homemade sweet and sour sauce, how to make sweet and sour sauce, chinese sauce, asian sauce