Sugar Cookie Bars are soft and chewy with homemade buttercream frosting on top. They're the easiest way to make sugar cookies with no cookie cutters!
For the sugar cookie bars:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 drop red food coloring
Make the sugar cookie bars:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a large half sheet baking pan (9x13-inch baking sheet) with parchment paper and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together using a hand mixer (or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment) on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract and beat until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl if needed. Turn the mixer to low speed and add cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add flour and mix until just combined.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until puffy and just baked through, about 14-16 minutes (do not overbake as they will continue to cook in the baking sheet when removed from the oven).
- Place the baking sheet on a wire cooling rack and allow it to cool completely, about an hour.
Make the frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, sugar, 2 tablespoons heavy cream, vanilla extract, and food coloring. Use a hand mixer to blend together until fluffy. If the frosting is too dry, add up to 1 tablespoon of heavy cream.
- Spread the frosting evenly over the cooled sugar cookie bars and add sprinkles on top.
- Slice into 24 bars and serve.
How to store: Keep sugar cookie bars stored in an airtight container. Store them for up to 2 days at room temperature in a cool, dry place away from humidity, heat, or sunlight. You can store them for up to a week in the fridge but their texture will harden the longer they’re stored in there.
How to freeze sugar cookie bars: If you like preparing ahead of time, you should know that you can freeze these sugar cookie bars! Freeze the unfrosted sheet of cookie bars wrapped tightly in plastic cling wrap and stored in a freezer bag or airtight container for up to three months. Thaw overnight in the fridge, then frost, slice, and serve.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cooling Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sugar cookie bars, sugar cookies, how to make sugar cookie bars, sugar cookie bars with frosting