Trick or Treat! Indulge in some chocolate goodness this Halloween with these easy to decorate, spooky chocolate cake pops.
Chocolate Cake (or use leftover cake):
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup hot coffee
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup and 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 2 and 1/2 ounces dark chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped candies or nuts (I used white M&M’s and Reese’s candies )
- 10-15 cake pops sticks
- 4 ounces dark chocolate
- Halloween themed sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside
- In a large bowl, beat egg and slowly add sugar. Continue to beat until mixture turns light yellow. Add oil and milk and mix until combined.
- Add the flour mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Add coffee and mix until incorporated. The batter will be a little more runny than most cake batters.
- Grease and flour a cake pan. Pour in the batter and bake for 25 minutes. Check if it is ready with a toothpick (must come out clean).
- Let cake cool down completely.
- In a small saucepan, dissolve sugar into the cream on medium heat. Add butter and remove from stove. Mix until combined.
- Stir in chopped chocolate and vanilla. Set aside to cool down completely.
- Once the cake and frosting have cooled down, scoop out the cake into a large bowl (leaving the dry edges). If you are using cake leftovers instead, mash it into small pieces.
- Add the frosting and mix until incorporated and pretty smooth.
- Add chopped candies and/or nuts.
- Form 1 to 1 and 1/2 inch size balls and place them on a tray.
- Melt 1/4 cup of the chocolate, dip 1/2 inch of each cake pop stick into the chocolate and stick into ball. a ball formed. Repeat with all remaining cake pops.
- Place cake pops into the freezer for an hour.
- Melt the rest of the chocolate and dip a cake pop in chocolate, covering it completely. Cover with sprinkles. Make sure to work fast as the chocolate gets solid very quickly. Repeat with remaining cake pops.