Trick or Treat! Easy to make and decorate, bite-sized spooky chocolate cake pops packed with chocolate and sprinkles are the perfect Halloween treat.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup hot coffee
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 2.5 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup candies or nuts, chopped (optional)
- 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon coconut oil
- 10-15 cake pops sticks
Make the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Grease and flour a round 6-inch cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to beat egg and slowly add sugar. Continue to beat until mixture turns light yellow. Add oil and milk and mix until combined.
- Add the flour mixture and mix until incorporated. Then, add coffee and mix until incorporated. The batter will be a little more runny than most cake batters.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Let cake cool down completely in the pan.
Make the Chocolate Frosting:
- In a small saucepan, add cream and sugar and heat on medium-high. Dissolve the sugar into the cream, then add butter and remove from the heat. Mix until combined.
- Stir in chopped chocolate and vanilla. Set aside to cool down completely.
Shape and Assemble Cake Pops:
- Once the cake and frosting have cooled down, scoop out the cake into a large bowl (leaving the dry edges) and crumble it with your hands. You can also transfer it into a blender and give it a few pulses to create the perfect crumbs. If you are using cake leftovers, mash it into small pieces.
- Add in the frosting and mix until incorporated and smooth. Add chopped candies and/or nuts, if desired. Shape the mixture into 1 to 1.5 inch size balls.
- Melt 1/4 cup of the dark chocolate and dip 1/2-inch of each cake pop stick into the chocolate and stick into a ball. Repeat with all remaining cake pops. Place the cake pops on a parchment-lined baking sheet and into the freezer for one hour.
Coat and Decorate the Cake Pops:
- Melt the rest of the dark chocolate with the coconut oil in a tall, narrow cup or measuring cup. Dip each cake pop in chocolate, coating it completely. Then add some sprinkles to cover it. Make sure to work fast as the chocolate solidifies very quickly.
- Place the coated cake pops upright into a cake pop stand or a styrofoam block. Repeat with remaining cake pops. Place the cake pops into the refrigerator and allow the coating to set completely, approximately one hour.
How to store: Store these cake pops at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to one week.
How to freeze: Cake pops freeze beautifully. Transfer them into a large freezer bag (once they have fully set) and freeze for up to 2 months. When ready to eat, allow them to thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
- Prep Time: 1 hour (+ 1 hour freezing time)
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: spooky chocolate cake pops, chocolate cake pops from scratch, how to make chocolate cake pops, cake pops, homemade cake pops, cake pops with chocolate, halloween cake pops