Classic split pea soup is a wholesome, filling, and delicious one pot meal that will warm you up. It's hearty, flavorful, and is loaded with nutrients.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups (about 1 lb.) dried split peas, rinsed
- 1 lb. meaty ham bone or ham hocks
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans chicken broth (about 3.5 cups)
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup croutons (optional, for serving)
- Heat oil in a large stockpot or 4-qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat until the hot oil sizzles, about 1 minute. Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Sauté until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Season with Italian seasoning and stir well to combine.
- Add split peas, ham bone, bay leaves, chicken broth and water. Bring the soup to a simmer over medium heat. Stir occasionally and let simmer until split peas are tender and the soup thickens to a desired consistency, about 45-55 minutes.
- Remove ham bone and bay leaves. Chop meat from the bone and stir back into the soup.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm and top with croutons if desired.
How to store: Keep leftover split pea soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can also store it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How to thaw: Thaw frozen soup overnight in the refrigerator or for a few hours on the kitchen counter at room temperature.
How to reheat: Reheat split pea soup in a saucepan on the stovetop over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. As it heats, it may reduce a bit. If you want to thin it out, mix in some water as you reheat. If it becomes too watery, let it reduce on the stove longer until desired consistency is reached.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: split pea soup, how to make split pea soup, creamy split pea soup, homemade split pea soup, how to make split pea soup