Spinach cheese rolls are an easy appetizer that's creamy, cheesy, comforting, and delicious. Serve as an appy at parties, for a school lunch, or snack.
- 1 (10x15-inch) sheet puff pastry, thawed if frozen
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach (300 grams/10 ounces), thawed and well drained
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (or cheddar cheese)
- 2 large eggs, divided (one for egg wash)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional, for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix spinach, garlic, cheese, 1 egg, salt, and pepper until well combined. (Make sure to drain the thawed spinach well beforehand). Set aside.
- Crack the remaining egg into a small bowl and beat with a fork. Set aside.
- Place the puff pastry on a clean and lightly floured surface, and divide in half crosswise. If you are making the puff pastry dough from scratch, roll out it out into a 10x15-inch rectangle, and then cut in half.
- Divide the spinach filling between 2 pastries and use a silicone brush to brush the edges with the egg wash.
- Gently roll the dough over the filling and pinch to seal the edges.
- Cut each roll into 3 equal pieces and arrange the rolls seam side down on a large half sheet baking pan lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. (You can divide the rolls into any size you prefer by cutting it into thinner slices if you prefer).
- Apply egg wash evenly on top of each roll and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and serve immediately.
Less is more: Be mindful when filling your spinach cheese rolls. You want to leave enough room on the sides to seal each roll, so the filling doesn’t spill out when you bake them.
How to store: Store leftover spinach cheese rolls in the fridge in an airtight container for 4-5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Allow them to cool completely before storing.
How to reheat: Reheat cold or thawed spinach cheese rolls in a 350F oven for 10 minutes. If reheating from frozen, reheat for 15 minutes until warmed through.
How to freeze uncooked spinach rolls: You can also freeze spinach rolls before baking. Store them in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. You can cook the raw rolls directly from frozen at 350F for 30-35 minutes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Snack
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: spinach cheese roll, spinach roll with cheese, cheese roll with spinach, pastry roll with spinach, stuffed spinach roll