Toss thin wheat noodles in a spicy chili oil sauce and top with seasoned ground beef to make numbing, spicy Sichuan Dan Dan noodles in under 15 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 450 grams ground beef (or ground pork)
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 450 grams (1 lb.) wheat noodles, fresh or dry
- 2 pieces bok choy
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts, crushed
- 1 tablespoon green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tahini sesame paste
- 1 tablespoon black vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce (or maggi sauce)
- 1 tablespoon chili oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn powder
- Prepare the beef: Heat oil in a pan over medium high heat for 1 minute. Add ground beef and cook for 2-3 minutes until the beef turns brown. Add light and dark soy sauce, Chinese cooking wine, brown sugar and black pepper. Stir to combine and cook for 2 minutes to evenly coat the beef with the seasoning and to allow the flavour to infuse into the beef.
- Prepare the noodles and bok choy: Bring a pot of water to a boil and place wheat noodles inside. Lower heat to medium and boil for 2 minutes, or according to package instructions. Stir occasionally so the noodles don’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Remove noodles with a pasta strainer and set aside. Then blanch cook the bok choy by dipping them into the boiling water for 10 seconds.
- Make the spicy chili sauce: To make the spicy chili sauce, mix together all the sauce ingredients (tahini, black vinegar, light soy sauce, chili oil, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, sugar, and peppercorn powder). Stir well to combine.
- Assemble the noodles: Divide the noodles into 2 bowls. Pour 2-3 tablespoons of sauce over top. Add cooked ground beef and boy choy. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts and green onions. Mix well to fully coat the noodles with the sauce.
How to prepare Dan Dan noodles in advance. Dan Dan noodles are best served fresh. You should always prepare the noodles fresh because once they start going cold, they will stick together and get stiff. However, you can make the sauce and meat in advance a few days in advance.
How to make the noodles milder (less spicy). These noodles, as titled, are spicy. To make them milder, just add less chili oil into the sauce. If you are very sensitive to spicy food, I would start with just 1/4 teaspoon (or less), taste the sauce, and then work your way up, to taste.
How to store Dan Dan noodles. You store the sauce and cooked beef separately in sealed containers. The sauce can be stored for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. The meat can be stored for up to 3 days.
Use the chili oil sauce in other recipes. You can make extra sauce and use it as a dipping sauce for other dishes including chicken, seafood or wontons.
- Prep Time: 7 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
- Category: Noodles
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: dan dan noodles, spicy noodles, sichuan noodles, chili oil noodles, chinese noodles, asian food