Soft and fluffy sourdough cinnamon roll twist bread is buttery and layered with cinnamon sugar. Prep it the night before and freshly bake it for breakfast.
For the dough:
- 100 grams sourdough starter
- 80 grams water
- 100 grams plain Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 350 grams all-purpose flour
- 40 grams butter, melted (approximately 3 tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 50 grams butter, softened at room temperature (approximately 1/4 cup)
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon powder
- confectioner's sugar
- cream cheese frosting (see recipe in notes below)
Prepare the Starter (approximately 6 hours rise time):
- If your sourdough starter is not ready to go, and is stored in the fridge, take it out and feed it 12 hours in advance. Discard half of the old starter and add 50 grams all-purpose flour and 50 grams water. Let it rise for 4-8 hours or until doubled in size.
- Take out a spoonful of new starter and drop it into a glass of room-temperature water. If it floats, the starter is ready. If it sinks, you either need to let the starter sit longer to develop more bubbles, or feed it again and let it sit until it passes the float test (usually 6–12 hours).
Prepare the Dough (1 hour rise time):
- In a large mixing bowl, add sourdough starter, water, yogurt, egg, and sugar, and whisk to combine. Add in all-purpose flour, and whisk to combine, scraping down the sides of the bowl (there should be no dry flour particles visible). Cover the bowl and let the dough rest for one hour. The technique is called autolyse.
- Add salt and melted butter, and fold the dough for a few seconds to combine. Butter and salt slows down yeast growth in the fermentation process, so it is recommended to incorporate it after allowing the dough to rise for an hour first.
Stretch and Fold the Dough (1 hour 30 minutes rise time):
- Apply some water or oil on your hands and stretch and fold the dough in the bowl by folding the edges over to the centre, one edge at a time. Wet hands makes it easier to work with the dough and it should take you less than a minute to fold all 4 sides. Cover with plastic wrap and let the dough rest for 30 minutes.
- Stretch and fold the dough again, cover, and let dough rest for another 30 minutes. Repeat this step one final time -- stretch and fold the dough, cover, and let it rest for 30 minutes, until it almost doubles in size. At this point, the dough should feel quite soft and less sticky since it slowly builds gluten strength and becomes airy from rising.
Proof Overnight (8-12 hours):
- Transfer the dough into a lightly greased container and cover with a lid. Leave it in the refrigerator overnight for 8 to 12 hours.
Shape and Braid the Cinnamon Roll Twist Bread:
- In a medium bowl, mix together softened butter, brown sugar and cinnamon and whisk into a paste.
- Transfer the dough onto a floured surface and use a rolling pin to roll it into a rectangle measuring approximately 20 x 12-inches. Scoop the cinnamon paste onto the dough (reserving one tablespoon of paste) and gently spread it evenly over the rolled dough, only leaving 1/2-inch from each edge.
- Roll up the dough into a log and pinch the end edges to seal. Cut the log in half lengthwise using a knife, leaving 1-inch on one end intact.
- Braid the two halves by twisting them together while keeping the cut sides with cinnamon filling exposed facing upwards. Pinch the ends together to form a coiled rope. Pull it together to form a circle and and tuck two ends together in the middle like a wreath.
Bake the Bread:
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Transfer shaped dough to a parchment lined baking tray and brush the remaining spoonful of cinnamon paste on top. You can apply a little bit of egg wash (beaten egg) on the top to help enhance the golden colour of the crust when baking. Let the dough sit aside until oven has preheated.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with some confectioner's sugar on top, or with a drizzle of cream cheese icing.
How to make cream cheese icing: In a medium bowl, whisk together 4 ounces softened cream cheese, 1 cup confectioner's sugar, 3 tablespoons milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, until creamy and smooth. If the consistency is too thick, add a little milk. If it is too thin for your liking, add some more sugar.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes (+at least 10.5 hours rise time)
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Bread
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cinnamon roll twist bread, cinnamon rolls, sourdough cinnamon rolls, sourdough babka, Estonian kringle