Soft chewy ginger cookies packed with ginger, molasses, and cinnamon spice is the most warm and cozy cookie ever. These holiday cookies stay soft for days.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coarse sugar or granulated sugar
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars using a hand mixer or stand mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the egg and beat until incorporated. Then add molasses and vanilla and beat on low until combined.
- Gradually add in the dry ingredients and beat until just combined.
- Cover the bowl with plastic cling wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours, up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a half sheet baking pan with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Transfer coarse sugar into a small bowl. Then, use a cookie scoop to scoop out 1-2 tablespoons of cookie dough at a time, and roll into 1-inch ball. Roll the cookie ball into the bowl of sugar to fully coat it. Place on the lined baking tray, spaced 2-3 inches apart. You will have to bake in multiple batches, or freeze some uncoated cookie balls to bake later.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until the edges are set. Remove from oven and allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet. Then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool down completely. If the cookies have a dome to them and are not very crinkled (this can happen if your cookie dough has been chilled for too long), just before transferring to a wire cooling rack, gently press down on them using the back of a spatula so flatten them out a bit and create the crinkle effect. Then, transfer to the cooling rack to cool down completely.
How to store: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
How to freeze: Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. You an also freeze the rolled cookie balls that have not been coated in sugar for up to 3 months. When ready to bake, simply allow it to defrost in the refrigerator, then roll in sugar and bake.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Chill Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: soft and chewy ginger cookies, ginger molasses cookies, soft ginger molasses cookies, christmas cookies, ginger christmas cookies