Slow cooker whole chicken is soft and tender and literally falls off the bone. It is the easiest way to cook a rotisserie chicken with a few minutes prep.
- 1 whole chicken (2 to 3 lbs.), neck and giblets removed
- few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 bulb garlic, cut in half crosswise
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, quartered
- 2 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Prep the Chicken:
- Pat dry the whole chicken with paper towel completely before adding seasoning.
- In a bowl, combine all chicken seasoning ingredients and stir well into a smooth paste. Rub and spread the mixture over the entire chicken including inside the cavity. Wear disposable gloves to make it easier to clean up.
- Stuff the sprigs of thyme and half the garlic inside the cavity. Set the chicken aside on a plate.
Slow Cook the Chicken:
- Place the chopped onion, remaining half garlic, potatoes and carrots inside the slow cooker or crockpot and spread out evenly. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place the whole chicken on top with the breast side up. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours, or on high for 2 to 3 hours, until the internal temperature in the breast reaches 165 F. Depending on the size of the chicken and the brand of the slow cooker, the average cooking time varies between 4.5 to 6.5 hours on the low setting.
Broil the Chicken:
- Carefully transfer the whole chicken with the breast side up onto a baking sheet. Note that the chicken is very soft and tender.
- Turn the broiler on high and broil for 3-4 minutes or until the skin turns brown and crispy.
- Place the chicken on a plate and let it cool for 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with the vegetables and drizzle on some drippings from the slow cooker.
How to test when chicken is done: Use a digital meat thermometer so that you never end up with undercooked or overcooked chicken. Simply insert halfway inside the chicken breast to get a quick reading. Once the thermometer reads 165F, the chicken is done.
How to get crispy skin: The secret to getting that perfect crispy skin is to broil the chicken after it's been slow cooked. This will give you soft and tender chicken meat but with crispy skin.
How to store: Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: slow cooker balsamic whole chicken, slow cooker whole chicken, balsamic chicken, whole chicken, rotisserie chicken