Slow cooker Korean short ribs deliver complex Asian flavours with little effort. Simply add your ingredients in the crockpot and let it cook dinner for you.
- 4-6 lb. beef short ribs, bone-in (about 10 two-inch pieces)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup honey (or 1 cup cubed pear)
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon ginger, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional, for a spicy kick)
- steamed rice
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon green onions, finely chopped
- Add short ribs, potatoes and carrots into a 6 quart slow cooker (crockpot).
- In a food blender, add remaining ingredients and puree for 1 minute until smooth.
- Transfer the the sauce into the slow cooker. The sauce should almost cover the short ribs. If not, add a little more beef stock or water.
- Close the lid and set to cook for 8-10 hours on LOW or 4-6 hours on HIGH. When time is up, the slow cooker will automatically switch to the WARM setting.
- Transfer 1 cup of the cooked sauce to a shallow saucepan and add 1 tablespoon flour. Whisk until smooth. Bring the sauce to a simmer over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously, until thickened to a desired consistency.
- Transfer the thickened sauce back in the slow cooker and stir well to mix. This is to thicken up the sauce.
- Serve the short ribs over steamed rice and garnish with sesame seeds and green onions on top.
How to reheat: Reheat slow cooker Korean short ribs covered in the microwave in increments of 20-30 seconds until hot. Alternately, reheat in a saucepan on the stove over medium-low heat until warmed through, about 5-10 minutes.
How to freeze: Allow the short ribs to cool to room temperature before freezing. Transfer to a freezer bag or airtight container, and leave some room for expansion. Freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator overnight or at room temperature for a few hours.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Category: Beef
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Korean
Keywords: slow cooker korean short ribs, crockpot korean short ribs, slow cooker short ribs, crockpot ribs, korean short ribs, korean stew