Easy slice and bake pecan shortbread cookies are sweet, nutty and buttery shortbread cookies packed with finely chopped pecans that melt in your mouth.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 + 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- Cream the butter and sugar together using a stand mixer or hand mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add vanilla and beat on medium until incorporated. Gradually add the flour and beat on low speed until combined. Add pecans and beat until incorporated. Turn the mixer to high speed and beat for 2 minutes until dough becomes more breadcrumb like and less dry.
- Divide the dough in half and shape each into a ball. Then roll into a log, 2-inches in diameter. You can roll it thicker but you will get less cookies out of it.
- Wrap the logs tightly with plastic cling wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours, up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two half sheet baking pans with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, stir together pecans and dark brown sugars until combined. Transfer to large plate and roll the chilled logs all over until it is completely coated. If you are having trouble getting the coating to stick, then try rolling the cookies in the coating after you have sliced them.
- Use a sharp long knife to cut the dough into 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch slices, and place on the baking sheet about 1-inch apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes until just starting to brown on the edges.
- Allow cookies to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Pecan substitutes: If you are not a fan of pecan, substitute it with any other type of nut. Try walnuts, almonds, or hazelnuts.
How to store: Once cooled, store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days, or in the refrigerator for up to one week.
How to store shortbread cookie dough: Store shortbread cookie dough once shaped into a log and wrapped tightly with cling wrap for up to 3 days in the refrigerator before baking.
How to freeze shortbread cookie dough: Once the dough has been shaped into a log and wrapped tightly with cling wrap, transfer to an airtight container or freezer bag and store for up to 3 months. To use, allow the dough to thaw in the refrigerator overnight or on the kitchen counter for one hour before coating, slicing and baking.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes (+2 hours chill time)
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pecan shortbread cookies, shortbread cookies with pecans, shortbread cookies, pecan cookies, christmas cookies, holiday cookies,