Skillet chicken fajitas are a light, fresh, and sizzling dish bursting with flavour, packed with colorful vegetables, and wrapped in warm tortillas.
- 1 + 1/2 pounds chicken breasts, skinless and boneless, sliced into 1/2-inch thick strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 8 soft tortillas
- In a large ziploc bag, combine chicken strips with 1 tablespoon oil and fajita seasoning including cumin, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Press the seasoning around the chicken strips to coat. Let it marinate for at least 20 minutes (if time allows), up to overnight in the refrigerator.
- When ready to cook, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet for 2 minutes over medium-high heat until the hot oil sizzles. Add the chicken strips and stir well to cook evenly until browned on all sides, about 6-8 minutes. Stir constantly to keep the strips separate. Once done, transfer onto a plate.
- In the same skillet, add onion and bell peppers and sauté until soft, about 3-5 minutes. Return the chicken to the skillet and add in lime juice. Toss well until evenly combined.
- Serve immediately with warmed tortillas. To heat the soft tortillas, follow the package instructions, or heat in an ungreased skillet over medium-high heat for 30 seconds per side. You can also heat it directly on a gas burner for a few seconds to get char marks on the edges.
tortillas and chicken fajita mixture separately in airtight containers. If storing them together, they will get soggy. The chicken fajita mixture will keep in the refrigerator for up to three days. The tortillas can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 days, but will stay fresh longer in the refrigerator (up to one week).Store your
Use different protein: Traditionally, fajitas are made with skirt steak, so if you’re not in the mood for chicken, consider using beef. You can also make this recipe vegan by using portobello mushrooms or tofu instead of chicken.
How to make it spicy: If you like your chicken fajitas to be spicy, then consider adding more chili, cayenne pepper, or fresh jalapeños to the mix.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Stir fry
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: skillet chicken fajitas, chicken fajita stir fry, cast iron chicken fajitas, how to make chicken fajitas, the best chicken fajitas