Better than takeout, shrimp egg rolls are a delicious, flavourful and easy appetizer to make. They can be deep fried, baked or air fried.
- 1 lb. large shrimp or prawns (about 16 pieces), peeled, deveined and tails removed
- 3 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh ginger, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (or cornstarch)
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 (25 piece) package egg roll wrappers (or spring roll wrappers)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2-3 cups vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 1 egg, beaten (optional for egg wash)
For the vinegar dipping sauce:
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Thai chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
Prepare the Filling:
- Coarsely cut peeled and deveined shrimp into small pieces on a clean chopping board (about 1/4-inch thick).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine shrimp, cabbage, carrots, mushrooms, ginger, flour, chicken bouillon powder, brown sugar, pepper, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Stir well to mix evenly, and drain off any excess liquid from the bowl. The filling should not be too wet as this can make the spring rolls soggy.
Wrap the Egg Rolls:
- Place one egg roll wrapper diagonally (diamond shape) on a dry, clean flat surface. Keep the rest of the wrappers inside the package to prevent them from drying out.
- Place up to 1.5 tablespoons of filling in a horizontal line near the centre of the wrapper placed approximately a quarter of the way up from the bottom, leaving about 2-inches uncovered on the side corners.
- Fold up the bottom so that it covers the filling. The bottom corner should approximately touch the centre of the wrapper. Fold in the two side corners into the centre, folding over top.
- Tightly roll the wrapper with your fingers until 1-2 inches remains on top. Lightly brush the remaining corner on top with cornstarch water (mix water with cornstarch in a small bowl) or dip your finger into the bowl and apply it to the top corner.
- Roll up the egg roll tightly to seal like a burrito. Make sure all corners are tightly sealed. Place the top edge side down, and cover with a tea towel to prevent the egg rolls from drying out.
- Repeat steps with remaining egg rolls. Brush egg wash over each roll if desired.
Deep Fry the Eggs Rolls:
- Add cooking oil into a shallow saucepan and heat over high heat for 4-5 minutes, or until the oil starts shimmering and sizzling. The oil should be about 1/2-inch deep or enough to almost submerge the egg rolls.
- Add in a batch of 5-6 egg rolls and cook for 2 minutes on each side. Turn them over a few times so that both sides turn golden brown and cook evenly. Make sure to leave some space in between the egg rolls when deep frying.
- Transfer the egg rolls onto a paper towel lined plate (to help soak in the extra oil) and let cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
- Repeat steps with remaining egg rolls.
- Serve warm on a plate with vinegar dipping sauce.
Make the Vinegar Dipping Sauce:
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar, fish sauce, sugar, pepper, chili and cilantro. Stir well with a spoon to combine.
How to cook egg rolls in the air fryer: Brush or spray some oil over the egg rolls and cook in the air fryer at 350 F for 7-8 minutes. Brush more oil on them halfway through. This is to help get that golden colour. It might not turn out as golden as it does when you deep fry, but it will be healthier, as you will be using a lot less oil.
How to bake egg rolls: Brush or spray cooking oil over the egg rolls and bake in a preheated 425 F oven for 15 minutes. Flip them over and continue to bake for another 10 minutes until crisp and golden.
How to store egg rolls: Transfer cooled egg rolls into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, heat in a 350 F preheated oven or air fryer for 5-10 minutes until warmed through.
How to freeze egg rolls: These freeze beautifully. I prefer to freeze the egg rolls after they have been cooked. Although you can freeze before cooking as well. To store, place the spring rolls on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and freeze for one hour. Then, transfer them into a freezer bag or an airtight container, and use as desired.
How to cook frozen egg rolls. You can reheat or cook them directly from the freezer, without thawing. To reheat cooked frozen egg rolls, heat in a 350 F preheated oven or air fryer for 10-15 minutes until warmed through. To reheat uncooked frozen egg rolls, follow recipe instructions but add 5 minutes extra time.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Deep Fry
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: shrimp egg rolls, shrimp lumpia, seafood egg rolls, how to make egg rolls, how to make lumpia, filipino egg rolls