Shredded chicken is quick and easy to make (in three ways) and shred. It’s a staple ingredient to add to other recipes such as soup, salads, and sandwiches.
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
Cook the chicken
You can cook the chicken in one of three ways, either on the stove, in the instant pot, or in the oven.
- Stovetop method. Use a paper towel to pat the chicken breasts completely dry. Season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet or 4 quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat until the hot oil sizzles, about 1 minute. Add chicken and sear until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Pour in chicken broth and cover the lid. Bring to a boil until the chicken is fully cooked through, about 10-12 minutes. The internal temperature of the chicken should be 165F. You can check for doneness by inserting a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken to get a quick reading.
- Instant pot. Place chicken breasts and 1 cup chicken broth (or water) in the inner pot of the instant pot and season with salt and pepper. Feel free to customize and add any other seasonings that you like. Switch the instant pot to pressure cooking mode on manual High and seal the lid (the steam release knob must be turned to the sealed position). Set the timer for 10-12 minutes. Once the time is up, you can let the instant pot slowly release the pressure, about 15 minutes or quick release the remaining pressure by turning the steam release valve to the venting position.
- Oven method. Preheat oven to 350F. Place the chicken breasts on a large plate and season with oil, salt, and pepper on both sides. You can also combine chicken with all seasoning in a large zip-loc bag. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Press the seasoning around the chicken to coat. Once the oven is ready, place the chicken in a baking sheet and pour in 1 cup chicken broth (or water). Cover the pan with aluminium foil. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the internal temperature for the chicken reaches 165F.
Shred the chicken:
How to store shredded chicken: Leftover shredded chicken will stay good for 4-5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
How to freeze: If you know you won’t eat all the shredded chicken within 4 or 5 days, freeze it the day you make it. This ensures the chicken tastes just as good when you thaw it as the day you made it. Shredded chicken can be frozen for up to 3-4 months in an airtight container or freezer bag. When ready to use, let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: shredded chicken (three ways), shredded chicken, how to make shredded chicken, instant pot shredded chicken, baked shredded chicken, stovetop shredded chicken