Bold safari animal print cake pops with vanilla cake and buttercream and coated in white chocolate will be the showstopper at your safari jungle party.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2/3 cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 275 g pure white chocolate (approximately 10 oz)
- 1/8 teaspoon coconut oil
- gel food coloring
- 18-20 lollipop sticks
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract, divided
- food paint brush
Make the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Lightly grease a round 6-inch cake pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter and sugar together using an electric mixer, approximately 2-3 minutes. Add egg and vanilla and continue to beat until fully mixed together.
- Slowly add one third of the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, beat until just combined. Then alternate with half of the milk. Continue adding and alternating flour mixture and milk to the batter, and ending with the flour mixture. Use a spatula scrape down the sides and to stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake. Allow cake to cool in the cake pan for 30 minutes, then remove from pan and place on wire rack until completely cooled.
Make the Frosting:
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to beat butter until smooth, approximately 2 minutes. Add sugar, milk, and vanilla, and continue to beat until smooth.
Assemble and Shape the Cake Balls:
- Crumble the cooled cake and place into the bowl of frosting. An easy way to crumble is to break the cake into big pieces and place it into the Vitamix. A few pulses will turn it into perfect crumbs.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together until combined and smooth, approximately 2 minutes. The cake mixture should have a play-doh like consistency.
- Take a tablespoon of cake mixture and roll it into a ball. Place on a parchment-lined baking tray. Repeat until all the mixture is used up. Place tray into the refrigerator for 1 hour.
Coat the Cake Pops:
- Melt the white chocolate with coconut oil in a tall mug or measuring cup.
- Dip 1/4-inch of a cake pop stick into the chocolate, and then insert it halfway into the cake ball. Completely dip the cake ball into the chocolate and lightly tap off any excess. Place upright into a cake pop stand, or a styrofoam block. Repeat with a quarter of all the cake balls.
- Now dye the chocolate a light pale yellow using gel food coloring. Repeat step 2 with a quarter of all the cake balls. Dye the chocolate a deeper pale yellow using more gel food coloring. Repeat step 2 with a quarter of all the cake balls. Dye the chocolate orange by adding some red gel food coloring. Repeat step 2 with remaining cake balls.
- Place cake pops in the refrigerator and allow coating to set completely, approximately one hour.
Decorate the Cake Pops:
- Prepare your edible paint. In a small dish, add 1/4 teaspoon of lemon extract to a drop of brown gel food coloring. Using a food paint brush, paint a giraffe print pattern on the yellow cake pops. These will be your giraffe animal print cake pops. Use the brown paint to brush circles/dots onto the light yellow cake pops. This will turn into your leopard print cake pops
- In another small dish, add 1/2 teaspoon of lemon extract to two drops of black gel food coloring. Using your paint brush, brush stripes on the white coated cake pops and the orange coated cake pops. These will be your tiger and zebra striped cake pops. Brush crescents around the brown dots on your leopard print cake pops to complete the look.
- Place decorated cake pops upright into the cake pop stand, or a styrofoam block. Store in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: safari animal print cake pops, vanilla cake pops, animal print cake, animal print dessert, animal print treats, cake pops, how to make cake pops