Quick and Easy Skillet Dinner Rolls are soft, fluffy, and served warm right out of the oven with a brush of melted butter making them the only bread recipe you’ll need to complement any dinner. Plus, using a cast-iron skillet to make these homemade bread rolls means even easier preparation and serving!
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons whole milk, at room temperature (or warm water)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 + 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 egg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a mixing bowl (or in the bowl of a stand mixer), stir together milk (or warm water), vegetable oil, yeast, and sugar. Let rest 15 minutes until foamy.
- Add in 2 cups flour, salt, and egg. Stir until combined (or use a dough hook in your stand mixer to mix until combined). Gradually add in the remaining flour, stirring between each addition until completely combined.
- Knead the dough manually using your hands on a clean surface for 5 minutes, or use the dough hook of your stand mixer to knead for 5 minutes until smooth.
- Grease a cast-iron skillet with butter.
- Use your hands to shape the dough into 12 balls. You may want to roll them on a clean surface for a couple of minutes until they are smooth and tight and not lumpy. Place dough balls in the greased cast-iron skillet. Let rest at room temperature for 10 minutes. The balls of dough should almost double in size.
- Brush the tops of the rolls with half the melted butter. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until the tops are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and brush again with remaining melted butter. Sprinkle some dried parsley or oregano on top (if desired) and serve warm.
How to store: Transfer leftover skillet dinner rolls into a large Ziploc bag, pressing all the air out before sealing. Store at room temperature out of direct sunlight for up to 4-5 days. You can also store them in the refrigerator for up to a week but they will dry out a bit. You can reheat them to add some moisture back in.
How to reheat: Reheat in the microwave on high for 30 seconds to 1 minute until warm. You can also reheat dinner rolls or in the oven at 350℉ for 10 minutes or in the air fryer for 5 minutes until heated through.
How to freeze: You can choose to separate the rolls or leave them in one unit, but either way you can transfer them to a freezer bag and freeze them for up to 3 months. Reheat the frozen dinner rolls in the oven straight from frozen to preserve the texture. Just add an extra 5 minutes to the reheating time.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Rest Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Bread
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: skillet dinner rolls, easy dinner rolls, quick dinner rolls, bread, homemade dinner rolls