Homemade queso Mexican cheese dip is smooth, creamy, delicious, flavorful, and so easy to make. It's so much better than store-bought in every way.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped (optional for garnish)
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and garlic until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add tomato and jalapeño and sauté until soft, about 1 minute.
- Add cornstarch and stir well to combine. Stir in heavy cream and cheese. Stir constantly and bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat until smooth and thickened to a desired consistency, about 4-5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with cilantro, extra jalapeño and chopped tomatoes. Serve warm with tortilla chips or alongside your favorite Mexican dishes.
airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.Allow the queso dip to cool to room temperature before storing in an
How to freeze: Queso also freezes really well. Once cooled, store it in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. When freezing, you should portion the queso so that you don’t need to thaw all of it if you only want some. To thaw, transfer the cheese dip into the refrigerator overnight (or at room temperature for a few hours).
How to reheat: When stored, the consistency becomes very spreadable. To get it back a dip consistency, reheat in the microwave in 20 second increments until warmed and desired consistency is reached.
Storing tip: Always label your refrigerated and frozen foods if you’re prone to forgetting when you made it. Your queso dip will last longer if there are no germs, bits of chips, or other pieces of food inside it.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dip
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: queso mexican cheese dip, queso dip, queso, mexican cheese dip, queso cheese dip, how to make queso, homemade queso