This easy Pot Roast Soup is made in 30 minutes with leftover beef and veggies simmered in broth. It’s hearty, flavorful, and nourishing comfort food.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 pound leftover pot roast beef, sliced into bite size strips or shredded
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped (optional, for garnish)
- Heat oil in a 5.5 quart Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat until sizzling hot, about 1 minute.
- Add onion, garlic, and carrots. Sauté until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add potatoes and broth. Mix well and bring the soup to a boil.
- Add leftover beef and tomato sauce. Cover the lid and simmer over low heat until the potatoes are fork tender and the beef is warmed through, about 10 minutes.
- Season the soup with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve immediately.
How to store: Transfer leftover soup to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Reheat on the stovetop over medium-low heat or in the microwave until warm.
How to freeze: Once cooled to room temperature, place in a freezer-safe container or a freezer bag, filling it only ¾ of the way to allow for expansion. Freeze for up to three months. When ready to eat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight or use a warm water bath to release the frozen soup from the container.
Turn it into a slow cooker meal: Need to make it ahead of time, but still want it hot? Use a crockpot slow cooker instead of the stovetop. Just sauté the onion, carrot, and garlic as directed, then transfer all the ingredients to a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the vegetables are tender.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pot roast soup, leftover pot roast soup, soup with leftover pot roast