Pigs in a blanket from scratch are a delicious and easy appetizer or snack to make for your next party or gathering — juicy, cheesy, flaky, and buttery.
- 1 (250 gram) sheet pastry dough (homemade or store-bought), thawed
- 1 + 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 hot dogs
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Divide the pastry dough sheet evenly into 6 pieces (approximately 3x6-inch rectangles). If you are using homemade pie dough, roll it into a 10x12-inch rectangle and slice into 6 even pieces.
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoons cheese evenly on each piece of dough and place a hot dog on top. Gently roll up the dough tightly around the hot dog into a log and pinch the end edges to seal.
- Cut each roll into 3 even pieces using a knife or bench scraper, each about 2 inches long.
- Arrange the hot dog rolls on a parchment lined baking sheet and apply egg wash on top.
- Bake until golden brown and flaky, about 15-20 minutes. Serve immediately with ketchup for dipping.
How to store: Allow any leftover pigs in a blanket cool to room temperature first. Then, place them in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
How to reheat: Reheat pigs in a blanket the same way you that cooked them — in a 400F preheated oven for 15 minutes. You can also reheat them in the air fryer for 5-10 minutes until warmed through.
How to freeze: You can freeze these pigs in a blanket both before and after cooking. Either way, wrap the pigs in a blanket tightly in plastic wrap (allow them to cool first if baked). Then, place in a freezer-safe bag or airtight container. They will keep for up to 2 months in the freezer.
How to cook or reheat from frozen: When ready to make or reheat, allow the frozen pigs in a blanket to thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Then, follow cooking or reheating instructions. You can also bake them from frozen, but increase the cook time by 20-25 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pigs in a blanket, franks in a blanket, pigs in a blanket with cheese, cheesy pigs in a blanket, how to make pig in a blanket