Phyllo meat pie (Egyptian goulash) is a savory pie made of well-seasoned ground beef that lies between layers of flaky, crispy, golden phyllo pastry dough.
For the beef filling:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
For the assembling the pastry:
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 package phyllo pastry sheets (about 20 sheets), thawed overnight
- 1 cup milk,(240 grams)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Prepare the beef filling:
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Heat oil in a large pan for 2 minutes over medium-high heat until the hot oil sizzles. Add ground beef and stir well to cook for 5-7 minutes until browned on all sides.
- Stir in garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes until tender. Season with salt, pepper, and cumin.
- Add tomato paste and stir well to combine. Set aside and let the beef mixture cool to room temperature, about 10 minutes.
Assemble the phyllo meat pie:
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together melted butter and olive oil and light grease a 9x13-inch baking pan using a silicone brush.
- Place 3-4 sheets of phyllo dough at a time on the lightly greased pan and tuck in any excess dough. Generously apply the butter mixture over the first layer of dough until evenly covered.
- Place another 3-4 sheets of phyllo dough and spread the butter mixture over evenly.
- Repeat with one more time layer of phyllo dough and butter mixture. This creates the laminated puff pastry dough which is made up of many layers of alternating dough and butter mixture.
- Add and evenly spread the meat filling.
- Repeat the same steps over the top of the filling by adding layers of 3-4 sheets of dough and butter mixture until all phyllo sheets and butter mixture are finished.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together milk, egg, salt and pepper.
- Cut the phyllo pie into 12 even pieces using a sharp knife and slowly pour and spread the milk mixture over the pie.
- Transfer the baking pan into the preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes until the crust is crispy and golden brown on top.
- Let the pie rest for 10-15 minutes and serve.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Beef
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Egyptian
Keywords: phyllo meat pie (egyptian goulash), filo meat pie, beef phyllo pie, phyllo pie with beef, ground beef phyllo pie, ground beef meat pie