Easy pepperoni pizza rolls are crispy on the bottom, tender and chewy inside, packed with pepperoni and cheese, and baked until bubbly. A total crowd pleaser!
For the pizza dough:
- 300 grams all purpose flour
- 6 grams salt
- 200 grams water
- 3 grams instant yeast
- 4 grams sugar
- 15 grams olive oil
For the filling:
- 1 cup pizza sauce, homemade or store-bought
- 1 + 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 oz. pepperoni slices (about 24 pieces)
- 1/4 cup cornmeal (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional, for brushing)
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, finely chopped (for garnish)
Make the Pizza Dough:
- Whisk together flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. In a small bowl, combine water, yeast, sugar and olive oil. Whisk to dissolve and pour it into flour mixture.
- Stir well with a silicone spatula to combine until no dry flour is visible in the bowl. Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl with the spatula. Let the dough rest for 10-15 minutes to develop gluten naturally.
- Knead with your hands until the dough is smooth, about 7-10 minutes.
- Allow the dough to rest for 1 hour, until doubled in size.
Shape the Pizza Rolls:
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Transfer pizza dough onto a lightly oiled surface and gently flatten into a 10x14-inch rectangle using a rolling pin. Spread pizza sauce on top. Then, sprinkle mozzarella evenly and add pepperoni slices on top (or any desired toppings).
- Roll up the dough tightly lengthwise into a log and pinch the end edges to seal.
- Cut the rolled dough into 12 even pieces using a knife or bench scraper, about 1-inch wide each.
- Place cornmeal on a shallow plate and dip the bottom of each roll into the cornmeal. Cornmeal is optional but recommended. It keeps the rolls from sticking to the baking tray and helps create an extra crispy bottom.
Bake the Pizza Rolls:
- Arrange the rolls flat, with cornmeal side down on a large half sheet baking tray lined with parchment paper. Brush a little bit of oil over the rolls for crispier crusts.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown. Let the pizza rolls cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and parsley on top and serve warm with pizza sauce for dipping
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pizza rolls, pepperoni pizza rolls, pizza roll ups, pizza bites, easy pepperoni pizza rolls, how to make pizza rolls,