Pecan Sandies are easy, slice and bake shortbread cookies loaded with pecans and literally melt in your mouth. They’re sweet, buttery, nutty, and delicious.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 + 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped
- Cream the butter and sugar together using a stand mixer or hand mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add vanilla and beat on medium until incorporated. Gradually add the flour and beat on low speed until combined. Add pecans and beat until incorporated. Turn the mixer to high speed and beat for 1 minute until dough becomes more breadcrumb like and less dry.
- Divide the dough in half and shape each into a ball. Then roll into a log, 2-inches in diameter. You can roll it thicker but you will get less cookies out of it.
- Wrap the logs tightly with plastic cling wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours, up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two half sheet baking pans with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Use a sharp long knife to cut the dough into 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch slices, and place on the baking sheet about 1-inch apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes until just starting to brown on the edges.
- Allow cookies to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Make different shapes: If slice and bake cookies aren’t your thing, you can roll out the dough instead and use cookie cutters to cut out different shapes.
How to store cookies: Once cooled, store the pecan sandies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
How to store cookie dough: Store shortbread cookie dough once shaped into a log and wrapped tightly with cling wrap for up to 3 days in the refrigerator before baking.
How to freeze cookie dough: Once the dough has been shaped into a log and wrapped tightly with cling wrap, transfer to an airtight container or freezer bag and store for up to 3 months. To use, allow the dough to thaw in the refrigerator overnight or on the kitchen counter for 30 minutes to one hour before slicing and baking.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Chill Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pecan sandies, pecan cookies, pecan shortbread cookies, shortbread cookies with pecans, christmas cookies