Orecchiette pasta with sausage, broccoli rabe, and roasted red peppers is a mix of spicy, sweet, and crunchy, and is on the table in less than 30 minutes!
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 bunch broccoli rabe, ends trimmed
- 1 lb. orecchiette pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 lb. sausage (sweet or spicy, either is fine), casings removed
- 1 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup pecorino romano cheese, grated
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon salt, then add broccoli rabe and cook for 3 minutes. Use tongs to immediately remove the broccoli rabe and place in a bowl filled with ice water to stop the cooking process. When cool, drain and roughly chop. Set aside.
- Bring remaining water back up to a boil, then add pasta. Cook 11 minutes, or until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, then drain pasta and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. When hot, add shallots and garlic and cook, stirring often, for about 2-3 minutes, or until translucent. Add sausage, breaking apart with the back of a wooden spoon.
- When sausage is mostly cooked through, about 5 minutes, add the chopped broccoli rabe and roasted red peppers. Continue cooking until everything is heated through, another 2-3 minutes.
- Add cooked pasta to the skillet, season with 1 teaspoon salt, black pepper, and most of the pecorino cheese, then toss to combine. Serve immediately with extra pecorino on top.
- Prep Time: <10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes