This quick and easy one pot rice pilaf with carrots is elevated with so much flavour with sautéed carrots, onion, garlic, and herbs, and cooked in stock.
- 2 cups long grain Basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, finely chopped
- 2 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (optional)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 medium size potatoes, peeled and halved (optional)
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Place the rice in a large bowl and rinse 3 to 4 times with cold running water to wash off extra starch from the rice. You can also pre-soak rice in water for 30 minutes. This helps the cook rice faster and yields a better texture.
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or cooking pot over medium high heat for 1 minute. Add onion, carrot, garlic and dill. Sauté for 3 minutes until you start to smell the aroma from the herbs.
- Drain the rice in a strainer and add it in the Dutch oven or pot. Stir well to combine rice with vegetables and herbs. Add vegetable stock, Italian seasoning and salt. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Add halved potatoes on top and coat with the stock to allow them to soak in the wonderful flavour.
- Turn the heat down to low and cover. Wrap the inside of the pot lid with a clean dish towel. This helps to absorb the steam inside the pot, otherwise your rice will be mushy. Simmer for about 30 minutes, until rice cooked and water is all absorbed. Turn off the heat and let it sit for another 10 to 15 minutes. The rice and potato is still cooking by the residual heat.
- Gently fluff the rice and add chopped parsley on top.
Pre-soak the rice. Pre-soaking the rice for at least 30 minutes before cooking helps the rice cook faster and also creates a better texture.
How to cook rice pilaf in the rice cooker. You can cook this pilaf in a rice cooker. Simply prepare and cook the ingredients in a skillet and then transfer to the rice cooker. Add the rice and stock and mix together to combine. Add potatoes (if using). Then turn on the rice cooker and cook the way you normally cook rice in the rice cooker.
How to cook rice pilaf in the instant pot. You can cook this pilaf in an instant pot. Use the sauté feature on the instant pot to cook the vegetables and herbs. Then, stir in rice and remaining ingredients. Lock the lid and seal. Cook on your "rice" setting. Let it release naturally for 10 minutes after, and then release any remaining pressure.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes (+10 minutes cooling time)
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Rice
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keywords: easy rice pilaf with carrots, rice pilaf, how to make pilaf, rice pilaf with carrots and onions, middle eastern pilaf