Take one sip of this non-alcoholic homemade eggnog and you’ll never look back at store-bought versions! It’s creamy, thick and smooth!
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg, freshly grated
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 4 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- whipped cream (for topping)
- ground cinnamon (for topping)
- extra nutmeg (for topping)
- Place heavy cream and grated nutmeg in a large bowl with a fine-mesh sieve on top. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine milk and vanilla. Cook over medium heat, swirling occasionally, until bubbles form around the sides and the milk starts steaming.
- In another bowl, vigorously beat together the eggs, yolks, sugar, and salt for approximately 3-5 minutes until the mixture is thickened and pale. Add in the milk in a slow stream and whisk to incorporate. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for about 6 minutes, or until the mixture reaches 165 F. Immediately strain into the bowl with the heavy cream.
- Place in refrigerator uncovered. Cool completely for at least 2 hours.
- To serve, pour eggnog into glasses filling only 3/4 of the glass. Top with whipped cream, cinnamon, and freshly grated nutmeg.
- This recipe takes 2 hours to set but for best results, it can be made up to one day in advance.
- The eggnog will keep in the refrigerator for a week.