Flaky, oily, and tender, miso black cod (or sablefish) packed with delicious Asian flavours is an indulgent meal that’s as healthy as it is delicious.
- 3 tablespoons miso paste
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar (mirin) or balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 5 black cod fillets (about 1.5 lbs.)
For the glaze and serving:
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds (for garnish)
- fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
- steamed rice
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a small bowl, combine miso paste, soy sauce, vinegar, olive oil, and black pepper and mix well with a spoon until smooth.
- In a large ziploc bag, add black cod and miso marinade. Press air out of the bag and seal tightly. Press the marinade around the fillets to coat. Place bag in the refrigerator and marinate for at least 30 minutes, up to overnight.
- Remove the black cod fillets out of the bag and place them on a large half sheet baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes until nicely browned. Let it rest at room temperature for 5 minutes. When the cod is cooked, the flesh will flake easily when inserting a fork.
- In a small bowl, mix together soy sauce and sesame oil and drizzle over the cod fillets. Garnish with sesame seeds and cilantro, and serve with steamed rice.
How to store: Store miso black cod or sablefish in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. If serving with rice, store the rice separately.
How to reheat: Place leftover fish on a lightly greased baking sheet or casserole dish. Add a splash of water and cover the fish with foil. Reheat in a preheated oven at 275F for 10-15 minutes or until the fish’s internal temperature reaches 130F. You can also reheat in the air fryer at 300 F for about 5 minutes, until warmed through.
How to reheat rice: Place the desired amount of rice in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover the rice entirely with a damp paper towel, ensuring there are no gaps for air to escape. Microwave rice in 15-20 increments until steam rises from the paper towel. Wait 1-2 minutes to allow the rice to finish steaming and cool down.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Marinate Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: miso black cod (sablefish), miso cod, miso sablefish, miso fish, how to make black cod, black cod with miso marinade