Mini egg cookie bars are a quick easy one bowl Easter dessert — soft and chewy with perfect crisp edges and a gooey center and loaded with mini eggs.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 + 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup mini eggs, whole
- 1/4 cup mini eggs, crushed
- Preheat oven to 325F. Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray oil and line it with a piece of parchment paper, allowing the overhang to come off the 2 sides. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer or stand mixer cream together butter and sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add egg and vanilla, and beat on low until incorporated. Add flour, baking soda, and salt and beat until just combined. Reserve 1 tablespoon each of the chocolate chips and crushed mini eggs and 2 tablespoons of the whole mini eggs (for the top). Fold in the rest.
- Spread the cookie dough onto the lined pan. Press in the remaining chocolate chips and mini eggs on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The cookie dough may not look completely done in the middle, but they will continue to cook as they are cooling.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely in the pan. Then, use the parchment paper overhang to pull them out. Slice into 16 pieces and serve.
How to store: Store mini egg cookie bars in an airtight container or wrap them individually in plastic wrap. Eat within 4 days if stored at room temperature, and within 7 days if stored in the fridge.
How to freeze: You can also freeze mini egg cookie bars for up to 3 months. Let them cool completely first, then slice and store in an airtight container or freezer bag. To thaw, leave them in the fridge overnight.
Make ahead instructions: You can make the mini egg cookie dough up to 2-3 days in advance. Cover the bowl with plastic cling wrap when storing. When ready to bake, allow the dough to come to room temperature (about 20 minutes) before spreading onto the prepared baking pan.
How to freeze cookie dough: You can also freeze the cookie dough by rolling it into a ball and wrapping tightly in plastic cling wrap and placing inside a freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to bake, allow the cookie dough to thaw overnight in the refrigerator, and allow it to come to room temperature before baking, according to recipe instructions.
How to serve a crowd: You can double this recipe to serve more people easily. Just substitute the pan for a rectangular 9x13-inch baking pan, and instead of baking for 30-35 minutes, bake for 35-45 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mini egg cookie bars, easter cookie bars, cookie bars, chocolate chip cookie bars, easter cookies