Microwave Steamed Broccoli is tender, buttery, and delicious. With just 4 ingredients, this easy side dish takes minutes to prep and even less time to cook.
- 1 pound broccoli florets (approximately from one large head broccoli)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper (or more to taste)
- Place broccoli florets in a large microwave-safe bowl. Pour water on top.
- Cover the bowl with a microwave cover or microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high until broccoli is tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Carefully remove the hot bowl (watch for the hot steam) and carefully drain the steamed broccoli in a colander if there is any water is leftover.
- Transfer the steamed broccoli to a serving dish and top with butter, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat and serve immediately.
How to store: Once cooled, place any leftover broccoli in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, transfer to a microwave-safe dish and cover. Microwave on high for 45-75 seconds until warm.
How to freeze: Steamed broccoli can also be frozen. Transfer to a freezer-safe container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: microwave steamed broccoli, how to steam broccoli in the microwave, microwave broccoli, broccoli in the microwave