Mexican chicken breast is juicy, tender, and flavorful. It's easy to prep with a quick marinade before cooking on the stove, air fryer, or oven.
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, freshly squeezed
- In a large mixing bowl, combine chicken breasts with 1 tablespoon oil, garlic, and all seasoning including chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, salt, pepper, and lime juice. Toss well to coat. Let it marinate for at least 20 minutes or overnight in the fridge. You can also combine everything into a large Ziploc bag and press the seasoning around the chicken to coat.
- When ready to cook, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until the hot oil sizzles, about 1 minute. Add chicken breasts and cook until golden brown, about 6-8 minutes per side. The internal temperature for the chicken should reach 165F as read on a meat thermometer. Turn off the heat and cover the lid. Let the chicken rest for 2-3 minutes.
- Air fryer instructions: You can also cook the chicken breasts in the air fryer at 350F for 30 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165F as read on a meat thermometer.
- Oven instructions: You can bake in a preheated 375F oven for 30-35 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165F as read on a meat thermometer.
- Serve as it over a plate of rice. You can also transfer the chicken breasts onto a cutting board and slice or dice them into smaller pieces to use in Chicken Tacos or serve over salad.
How to store: After the chicken has cooled to room temperature, store it in an airtight container in the fridge. Eat within 3-4 days.
How to reheat: The best way to reheat chicken without drying it out is in the oven with a bit of water. Start by placing the chicken in an oven-safe pan. Then, add 1-3 tablespoons of water. Cover the pan tightly in aluminum foil and bake in a 400F oven for 10-15 minutes. You can also reheat in a 350F preheated air fryer for 10 minutes until warmed through.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Marinate Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: mexican chicken breast, mexican chicken, chicken breast, chicken breast with mexican seasoning,