Mashed potato cakes are light and fluffy inside, crispy golden outside, and so delicious and flavorful. The best way to use up leftover mashed potatoes!
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (or cheddar cheese), freshly grated
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup green onion (or chives), diced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (or breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (for dredging)
- vegetable oil (for cooking)
- In a large mixing bowl, add mashed potatoes, Parmesan cheese, egg, green onions, flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix well until smooth.
- Use your hands to shape the mashed potato mixture into balls or you can use an ice cream scoop for even pieces.
- Add dredging flour into a shallow plate and coat each mashed potato balls in flour. Use your hands to gently flatten them into patties. Set aside on a parchment-lined baking pan or plate.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat until the oil sizzles, about 2 minutes. Add patties in batches (about 5-6 per batch) and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side until golden brown. Add 2 tablespoons of oil in the beginning of each batch.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and serve with sour cream and chives, if desired.
How to store: Allow the mashed potato cakes to cool to room temperature before storing. It is important that you don't skip this step, otherwise, you will end up with soggy potato cakes the next day. Once cooled, place in an airtight container lined with fresh, dry paper towels and store in the refrigerator. These mashed potato cakes will last in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
How to freeze: Mashed potato cakes taste best fresh or within a few days. Freezing them is possible, but they sometimes become grainy. Once cooled, you can freeze them in a single layer on a baking sheet until frozen, about 1 hour. Then transfer them into a freezer bag or airtight container, and freeze for up to 3 months.
How to reheat: You can reheat these mashed potato cakes on a pan over the stovetop on medium-low heat until warmed through. You can also reheat them in a 350 F preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or air fryer for 5-10 minutes.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mashed potato cakes, leftover mashed potato cakes, mashed potato pancakes, leftover mashed potato recipe