Mashed Cauliflower is a fluffy and buttery side dish and a low carb, keto-friendly alternative to mashed potatoes. Plus, it’s easier and quicker too!
- 1 medium head of cauliflower (2 pounds), cut into florets
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper (or more to taste)
- fresh herbs (optional, for garnish)
- Bring a large cooking pot of salted water to boil. Add the cauliflower florets and turn the heat down to medium. Cook covered for 15 minutes until cauliflower is soft and tender. When the cauliflower is ready, remove from heat and drain.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Sauté the garlic for about 2 minutes until fragrant and soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a food processor, add the cooked cauliflower, sautéed garlic with the butter it was cooked in, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Puree on high until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Serve hot and sprinkle some fresh herbs (such as parsley, chives or rosemary) and freshly cracked black pepper on top.
How to store: Transfer leftover cauliflower mash into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
How to reheat: Reheat mashed cauliflower in the microwave or on the stove over low heat until warmed through. You may have to add a splash of water if it’s thickened up too much when reheating.
How to freeze: Store leftover mashed cauliflower (once cooled to room temperature) in a freezer bag or airtight freezer container for up to 3 months. To store individual servings, freeze in separate smaller containers. You could also freeze in smaller batches on a sheet pan for 2 hours, then transfer the to a freezer bag or freezer-safe container. Allow it to thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Food Processor
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mashed cauliflower, cauliflower mash, creamy mashed cauliflower, cauliflower side dish