Mango Bubble Tea with boba tapioca pearls is the perfect creamy and refreshing summer drink. You won’t believe how easy and cheaper it is to make at home!
For the boba pearls:
- 1/2 cup uncooked tapioca pearls
- 4 cups + 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
For the mango milk:
- 2 ripe yellow mangoes, such as Ataulfo mangos
- 1 1/2 cups milk, dairy or non-dairy
- 2-3 ice cubes (optional)
- tea, green or black tea (optional - see note*)
Cook the boba pearls:
- Add 4 cups water in a medium saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add tapioca pearls and turn heat down to medium-low. Cook uncovered for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the boba from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Turn off the heat and let the pearls rest in the hot water for another 20-25 minutes.
- Drain the pearls in a fine mesh sieve or colander and return to the saucepan.
- Add brown sugar and remaining 2 tablespoons of water. Stir well and heat over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the syrup starts to thicken a bit, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside in a bowl.
Assemble the mango milk tea:
- Slice each mango in half away from the pit and use a large spoon to scoop out the flesh.
- Add mango and milk to a blender and blend on medium speed until smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
- Divide the cooked boba pearls into 2 tall glasses. Pour in the mango smoothie and top with ice cubes, if desired. You can add in extra sweeteners such as honey or maple syrup if needed. Serve with wide straws.
To make mango milk tea: To make a mango milk tea, substitute 3/4 cup of milk with your choice of tea. Make the tea by adding a green tea bag or black tea bag to 3/4 cup of boiling water. Allow it to steep for 5 minutes then cool in the fridge.
How to store mango bubble tea: Mango bubble tea is best enjoyed fresh, but it will last in the fridge for about 4 hours if it's already mixed with the tapioca pearls. You can enjoy it after a day but the boba pearls will lose its texture and get hard. In this case, you can remove the boba with a slotted spoon and enjoy the rest of the drink. Otherwise, it can last for 1-2 days in the fridge if not mixed with the pearls.
How to store cooked tapioca pearls: If you have extra boba pearls, store them in an airtight container at room temperature, and cover and fully coat them in the brown sugar syrup to prevent them from sticking together. You need to consume them within 4 hours or they will start to get mushy. You can also store them in the fridge for a couple of hours, but if you store them too long in there, they will start to harden.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: mango bubble tea, mango milk tea, mango boba tea