Lemon asparagus soup with parmesan is the perfect spring soup -- smooth, light, fresh, and flavourful. It's customizable and can be served hot or cold.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 ribs of celery, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium russet potato, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound asparagus (2 bunches), trims removed and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 5 cups of chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (juice from 1/2 lemon), freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (plus more for garnish)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions, celery, and garlic, until the onions are soft and translucent. Add in the potatoes and asparagus (reserving a few of the tips to use later for garnish). Mix well until combined.
- Add the chicken stock and bring the soup to a simmer. Turn the heat down to low and simmer (covered) for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables have become soft and tender.
- Meanwhile, bring a small pot of salted water to a boil and add the reserved asparagus tips. Cook for 2 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl of ice water. Let cool, then drain.
- Puree the soup directly in the pot using an immersion blender, or puree in batches in a blender and pour it back into the pot.
- Add the lemon juice and Parmesan, and stir until the cheese has melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the soup into serving bowls and top with blanched asparagus tips and extra Parmesan cheese on top.
How to customize: Lemon asparagus soup with parmesan is a versatile spring soup that can be customized with your favourite herbs and vegetables to adjust the flavour to your liking. For example, you can add fresh basil, mint, parsley, or chives to make the soup more herby. You can add cooked rice after pureeing the soup to make it heartier.
How to garnish: I typically garnish the soup with the blanched asaparagus tips and extra Parmesan. I also like to sometimes garnish with a drizzle of cream, pine nuts, croutons, or red pepper flakes.
How to store: Store lemon asparagus soup covered in the pot or in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
How to freeze: You can freeze this spring soup in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. When ready to serve, defrost overnight in the refrigerator or at room temperature on the kitchen counter for a few hours.
How to reheat: Reheat this soup on the stovetop over medium-low heat until warmed through. You can add extra lemon juice or Parmesan, if desired. You may also have to add a splash of water to thin out the soup if it has thickened up too much when stored.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lemon asparagus soup, asparagus soup with lemon and parmesan, asparagus soup with no cream, easy asparagus soup