Fusion-style Korean beef steak tacos are made with tender, flavour-packed slices of beef and topped with caramelized pineapple, kimchi, and spicy mayo.
Korean Beef Steaks:
- 1 pound beef sirloin (or flank steak), cut into 2-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Spicy Mayo Sauce:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/4 cup pineapple, chopped
- 6 (6-inch) soft taco tortillas
- 1/3 cup purple cabbage, sliced
- 1/3 cup kimchi, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Marinate the beef: Place sliced beef into a zip-loc bag. Add soy sauce, vegetable oil, sesame oil, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, black pepper, and cornstarch. (The cornstarch makes the beef more tender). Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Press the marinade around the beef to coat. Place in the fridge to marinate at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Make the spicy mayo sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, Sriracha, lime juice and water. Stir well to get a smooth texture and set aside.
- Cook the beef with pineapple: You can either stir fry the beef and pineapple together, or cook them in the air fryer.
- To stir fry: Add the marinated beef and pineapple into a large frying pan and cook over medium high heat until the beef turns brown, about 7 minutes. Stir well to cook evenly. Then, turn heat down to low, cover and let it simmer for 1 minute to allow the pineapple juice to seep into the beef, making them even more tender.
- To air fry: Cook the beef and pineapple together in the air fryer at 350 F for 13 minutes. Shake the air fryer basket halfway through. Transfer the beef and pineapple to a plate.
- Heat the soft tortillas: Heat the soft tortillas according to the package instructions, or heat in an ungreased skillet over medium heat for 30 seconds per side. You can also heat it directly on a gas burner for a few seconds to get char marks on the edges.
- Assemble the tacos: Add 1/4 cup stir-fried beef and pineapple mixture on each tortilla. Top with 1 tablespoon sliced purple cabbage and chopped kimchi to taste. Sprinkle some chopped cilantro and sesame seeds on top, and drizzle with spicy mayo sauce to taste.
Kimchi. Kimchi is dish of fermented vegetables (most often napa cabbage). It is a staple ingredient in Korean cuisine and adds that classic Korean flavour to these tacos. You can find it easily at Asian grocery stores, or you can even make your own.
Ground beef vs. beef steak. You can also use ground beef instead. Marinate the ground beef the exact same way, and cook it in a skillet. I would not recommend cooking it in the air fryer.
Double stack the tortillas. I normally double stack my tortillas and stuff my tortillas to the max. Double stacking helps hold everything in, especially if one of the tortillas tears.
- Category: Tacos
- Method: Stir Fry
- Cuisine: Mexican and Korean
Keywords: korean beef tacos, tacos, korean beef, asian tacos,