Instant pot mashed potatoes are the quickest and easiest mashed potatoes you’ll make in under 20 minutes (including prep!) in the pressure cooker.
- 3 lbs. russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon green onions, finely chopped (optional, for garnish)
- Add chopped potatoes into the instant pot and cover with water (about 3-4 cups). Season with 1 teaspoon salt and stir well to dissolve. Seal the lid and set the steam release knob to the sealed position.
- Cook the potatoes on manual pressure for 10 minutes until tender. Once the time is up, quick release the pressure or wait until all of the steam has released and the valve has dropped.
- Drain the potatoes completely and mash with a potato masher or fork. Add butter, sour cream, milk, remaining salt, pepper and garlic powder to the potatoes. Mix well with an electric mixer or whisk to combine until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Garnish with a pat of butter and green onions (or your favorite toppings) and serve immediately.
How to serve: Mashed potatoes are a delicious side on their own on a plate of roast chicken, turkey, or salmon. You can also take them to the next level and top with cheddar cheese, bacon, gravy, sour cream, or green onions.
How to store: Keep leftover instant pot mashed potatoes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.
How to reheat: Reheat leftover potatoes covered in the microwave on medium heat for 1-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. I recommend covering a microwave-safe bowl with plastic wrap for the best results.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot mashed potatoes, pressure cooker mashed potatoes, how to make mashed potatoes in the instant pot