Instant pot butternut squash soup is the perfect fall dish to cook in your pressure cooker — warm, cozy, comforting, and creamy. Make in 15 minutes.
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2.5 lb.), peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 1-2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1-2 bay leaves (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, ( or to taste )
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, ( or to taste )
- 3 cups vegetable stock or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a 6-quart instant pot pressure cooker, add butternut squash, onion, carrots, celery, and apple. Season with thyme, bay leaves (if using), salt, and pepper. Add in vegetable broth and stir well until evenly mixed.
- Switch to pressure cooking mode on manual high and seal the lid. Let the mixture pressure cook for 12-15 minutes. Once the time is up, quick release pressure or wait until all of the steam has released and the valve has dropped. Remove the lid and discard the thyme sprigs and bay leaves.
- Puree with an immersion blender or transfer to a blender in batches and puree until smooth. Return to the pot and stir in heavy cream.
- Serve immediately with an extra drizzle of cream on top and pumpkin seeds (optional).
No immersion blender? No problem: You can use a regular blender or food processor for this recipe without issue. Just be careful when pouring hot soup! Use a ladle to prevent any spills or splatters. When blending, ensure there is space for air to escape and cover any ventilation holes with a cloth to avoid splattering.
How to store: This instant pot butternut squash soup will keep in the fridge for up to 3-4 days, stored in an airtight container.
How to freeze: You can also freeze butternut squash soup in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. You can freeze a whole batch or portion then out into smaller portions before freezing. Label them with the recipe name and date made.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot butternut squash soup, butternut squash soup, pressure cooker butternut squash soup, how to make butternut squash soup in the instant pot,